My Design Teams

Monday 4 January 2010

New beginnings....

...evening everyone - Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful new year, mine was spent on the sofa at a friend's house while our other halves played Scaletrix all night - yes you read that correctly....ALL NIGHT!! I had a little go, it was fun, but really...how long can watching little cars go around the same track be exciting for?? I suppose thats why I am a girl!!

So, another year has begun....as you'll know I've already set my resolutions and I'm pleased to say that I have already acted on one of them too. Over the holidays I did some surfing on the internet (as you do) and came across this fab website: http://www.cutehandmade.com/ that features everything cute and handmade! It truely is a celebration of cute handmade items - take a look and see for yourself! Inspired by my resolution of believing in myself more I contacted Brooke the blog host and applied to be featured. I checked my emails today and to my delight found an email from Brooke saying that I will be appearing on the blog! This is soooo cool, and I am a tad bit pleased with my efforts! I think I am appearing on 12th Jan - so watch this space! This is a great start to the new year!

Talking of new beginnings that is the theme of a card that I've created that fits into no less than three card challenges this week (yes, I am very pleased with myself again!). To be specific we're talking new babies......














....the basis of this sweet new baby card is the Sketchtastic challenge over on Cute Card Thursday. If you visit their blog they have provided the basic sketch to base your card on: http://cutecardthursday.blogspot.com/2009/12/challenge-93-sketchtastic.html. I'm only just getting into this concept of card making and I am really enjoying it. For inspiration the DT have produced an array of fab designs. The theme for the card came first from the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge - the ladies there wanted to see projects featuring New Beginnings...it could be anything from new home, to weddings to new babies....again the DT produced some amazing designs: http://thesecretcraftersaturdaychallenge.blogspot.com/2010/01/challenge-64.html. While thinking about which new beginning to design I took a look at the Cupcake Craft Challenges blog and found my final inspiration....as they are looking for new baby cards! It was obviously meant to be!http://cupcakecraftchallenges.blogspot.com/2010/01/challenge-72baby-card.html

The card is made using lots of pink scrap paper, layered as the sketch shows. I've used a foam purple "Baby" sentiment, which compliments the pink and lilac rocking horse topper. Both the sentiment and the image are raised slightly, giving the card some depth. I've also used pretty ribbon to add a delicate touch to the card. I was quite pleased with how this has turned out.....


Before I go I just want to share one other mini project with you - this one features my favourite embelishment os the moment.....you've guessed it....buttons!!  I've created this cute hanging ornament using a mixture of buttons from my trusty button box, some leftover ribbon and jewellery wire.

First off I selected the buttons I liked best and created the heart shape on my craft desk. I then cut a very long piece of wire and started to thread the buttons on one at a time. I shaped the heart as I went along, and then finally attached the ribbon at the back using the wire. This was actually a fairly difficult project, probably because I did use a ridiculously long piece of wire which kept pinging about the place! I thought I was going to poke my eye out at one point! Its not perfect yet, but I'm sure there is a saying about practice (and patience) making perfect! It was so cute I wanted to share with you!

Anyway, another long blog - sorry! Just so much to share this time.....I haven't been able to access the internet since New Year's Eve!!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my makes - maybe even given them a go yourself!

Enjoy,
Wedgie xxx

6 comments:

The Crafty Den said...

Aww what a cutie card. I love the image and the colour scheme is gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at cupcake craft challenge this week. Hugs, Denise x

Liza said...

A cute baby card with a great layout. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

Liza x

Cathy said...

Pretty baby card.
Thank you for joining in the SCSC this week.
Cathy xx

Victoria said...

cute card and lovely ornament too
Fab to see you at Cupcake Crafts
Victoria
x

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous baby card, sweet image and colours.
luv
Debby

Donna said...

Beautiful baby card for our challenge at Cupcake this week, thanks for playing along with us :) Donna x