My Design Teams

Wednesday 6 January 2016

Forgotten Pleasures

Hello there,

Welcome back to Wedgie's Wonderful World.

Over the festive season I had rather a lot of time off work (lots of untaken leave that I had to use before the end of 2015) and that meant I could spend more time in my lovely craft room - woo hoo!

Last year I really started experimenting with dressmaking and machine sewing generally...it's something I have dabbled in for a number of years.....but I think I've finally got the hang of it. I'm by no means perfect.....but my wardrobe has increased with some rather lovely (even if I do say so myself) handmade clothes and I was able to give some hand sewn gifts for Christmas this year!

50s Style Handmade Dress
with circle skirt

Handmade zipper pouches made using Liberty print 

Then my mum asked whether I could help her stock a craft stall that she is thinking about taking over at her local church in 2016. This got me thinking about all the different small items I could make that might be popular......thats when I remembered my felt stash!

Ages ago I had a real thing for creating felties and other small felt items, so I thought I would give it a go again......and I am so pleased I did! I had forgotten how much I enjoy working with felt to create little items like these felt brooches....

Collection of handmade felt brooches

There is something rather wonderful and satisfying about designing and creating with felt. As long as you have the right stash at home you can make a new brooch relatively quickly....

Brooch making at the beginning

You can also add quite a bit of detail, using buttons and hand stitching to embellish your designs....

Finished felt flower brooches

I made the five brooches in the photo above in one afternoon (and that included faffing about in my craft room to find all the materials!)......so I will definitely be helping mum stock her craft stall this year!

Have you got a forgotten craft that you really enjoy doing? 
I'd love to hear about it.....

Thank you for popping by today,
Wedgie xxx

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Oh that dress is fab! I do love the 50's style.

I used to make a lot of things with beads as a kid, and re-discovered it a few years ago when I made bead flowers for my daughter to wear in her hair as part of a Hallowe'en costume. I may have to think about making some more... :-) x